We appreciate every offer to foster. Unfortunately, based on experience, we know that the following circumstances will generally preclude us from being able to take advantage of your hospitality.
WHO DOES NOT MAKE A GOOD FOSTER CANDIDATE
- HOMES OUTSIDE OF MARICOPA OR PIMA COUNTY
- THOSE WHO ALREADY HAVE 2 DOGS
- THOSE WHO WORK EXCESSIVELY LONG HOURS
- ONE WHO IS CLOSE TO MOVING / RELOCATING OR HOUSE ON MARKET
- ONE WHO TRAVELS A LOT OR HAS PLANS TO BE AWAY FROM HOME
- FAMILIES OR INDIVIDUALS WITH TODDLERS
- FAMILIES OR INDIVIDUALS WITH TOO MANY OTHER PETS
- FOLKS WHO STRESS EASILY
- THOSE FUSSY ABOUT DOG HAIRS ON CLOTHES OR FURNITURE
- THOSE FEARFUL OF BIG DOGS
- THOSE WITH DOG AGGRESSIVE DOGS IN THE HOUSEHOLD
- HOMES WITH A TOY BREED OR MULTIPLE SMALL DOGS
- THOSE WITHOUT A FENCED YARD OR INADEQUATE FENCING
- YARDS WITH A FAIR AMOUNT OF LOOSE DIRT (NO GRASS OR GRAVEL)
- APARTMENT/CONDO/TOWNHOUSE DWELLERS EXCEPT IN THE CASE OF SENIOR OR SPECIAL NEEDS DOGS
- MINIMUM AGE FOR ANY VOLUNTEERS THAT HAVE DIRECT CONTACT WITH OUR RESCUED DOGS IS 25 YEARS.
- FOSTERS FOR THE PHOENIX AREA MUST RESIDE IN MARICOPA COUNTY. SOME OUTLYING AREAS WITHIN THE COUNTY MIGHT BE TOO FAR FROM US UNLESS FOSTER IS WILLING AND ABLE TO TRANSPORT TO THE NORTH SIDE OF TOWN WHEN NECESSARY.
- FOSTERS FOR THE TUCSON AREA MUST BE LOCATED IN PIMA COUNTY WITHIN A REASONABLE DISTANCE TO TUCSON
ARIZONA ONLY -- WE CANNOT FOSTER OUR DOGS OUT OF STATE -- Thanks!
WHAT DO I NEED TO BE A FOSTER PARENT?
For the most part, we apply the same criteria to fosters as we do for adopters:
If you are in doubt, please check our policy page
-   PATIENCE AND COMPASSION
-   TIME AND A GOOD ENERGY LEVEL
-   PREFERABLY SOME GSD AND/OR DOG HANDLING EXPERIENCE
-   A SAFE AND SECURE FENCED YARD
-   RELIABLE TRANSPORTATION SUITABLE FOR A LARGE BREED DOG
-   PREFERABLY SOME WEEKEND TIME FREE
-   INTERNET ACCESS IS VALUABLE
-   THE LESS CARPETING, THE BETTER :-)
-   A GOOD VACUUM CLEANER & A SENSE OF HUMOR
Maricopa County is HUGE, and we must have reasonable access to our fostered fur kids for purposes of vetting, showing, training, etc.
It is not possible for us to physically pick up and return the dogs scattered around the valley and still make their appointments. Fosters are frequently asked to transport their fostered dogs to the north end of town.
More often than not, except for vet visits, we do this on weekends and try to provide ample notice. We do not require transport every weekend.
Most of our activities and showings take place in North or Northwest part of town. If you reside in one of the following towns or beyond you are likely too far away or will need to be willing and able to make the drive when necessary: Maricopa-Queen Creek-Apache Junction-Laveen-Gold Canyon-Buckeye-Wickieup-Florence-Casa Grande-Prescott-Black Canyon City-New River-Anthem-Wittman-Tonopah-etc.
Please download a copy of our FOSTER GUIDELINES, before completing the Foster Application. It will serve to provide you with an overview of what fostering involves. Thanks!
Southwest German Shepherd Rescue could not function without its foster family network. Unfortunately, the need is great. There is an ever-increasing number of GSDs waiting to come into our rescue and those which we must turn away due to lack of foster space. If you think you might be a good candidate (after reading this page you will know) and are in a position to foster a German Shepherd for our rescue, PLEASE FILL OUT OUR FOSTER APPLICATION BELOW, THEN GIVE US A CALL PER THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE APPLICATION.
After your application is reviewed we can address each other's questions. Eventually, we will visit your home and meet your pets (if any) as well. In the event you are approved as a foster home, you will be asked to read and sign our Foster Agreement which will be sent to you ahead of time.
We always have a wait list for dogs needing foster care; however, only the dog that we feel best fits into your particular home situation can be placed in your care.
Generally speaking, however, we tend to avoid 3-dog situations, households with very small toy breeds, exotic or animated animals such as ferrets, and chickens or livestock.
We seldom place like genders together (two females or two males). Frequently very young dogs or puppies are OK with a dog of the same sex, but they also require significant time & supervision.
If you have never owned or raised a purebred German Shepherd Dog as an adult in your own home ("My parents had one" doesn't count ;-) please click on and read THE GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG for additional insight BEFORE completing the foster application. THANKS!!
Please be aware that we foster and place our dogs strictly as indoor members of the family and that leaving them outside when no one is home is a violation of our agreement. This also applies to those dogs who had previously been outside dogs which often requires helping them to learn house manners; an extremely important aspect of the acclimation process.
If you feel you are a good foster home candidate, PLEASE FILL OUT OUR FOSTER APPLICATION THEN CALL US.
NOT TO BE USED FOR ADOPTION -- PLEASE SEE "HOW TO ADOPT OUR DOGS" FOR ADOPTION INFO.
MEET OUR FOSTERS PAST & PRESENT
|HOME||Available Dogs||Training||The Breed||Policies||Donating||Re-homing
||Lost a Dog? Found a Dog?